Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spokane Lobby

Spokane Lobby
Charcoal & Conte Stick
in Moleskine
Casey Klahn


Getting out hasn't been easy, but I have accomplished a few plein air sketches this past week. This morning, I was downtown in Spokane enjoying a coffee and roll, wondering if this location was going to offer me another coffee shop sketch. Not wanting to be in a rut, I found the old lobby of the building facing outwards towards the street. Here was a dated lobby with a new (ugly) facade - glass double doors set in a plain metal framed surround.

A challenge to draw!

At the bookstore, I found an out-of-print and used copy of Albert Handell's
Pastel Painting Workshop, 1981. Replete with hippy chicks and other awesome Handell illustrations, I couldn't resist buying it.

4 comments:

Making A Mark said...

I love it when I turn up books like that!

Anonymous said...

I just want to thank-you for this blog. I'm a therapist and I work with children who have experieced serious trauma. Most of my kids don't yet have language to express the things they need to express in order to heal, and using art can be a powerful medium in recovery. But I don't have a lot of money for supplies and I am not personally gifted in art/drawing/etc. But your blog has helped me find a new tool with which I can help my kids. Thank-you again!

Casey Klahn said...

As a daddy to two small ones, I am touched and happy that you can use my blogs to help.

Let me know of any questions you have, if that would help more.

Casey Klahn said...

Katherine, you are such a bibliophile!