Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Germany!


It gives me great pleasure to post about German pastel art. With the world's softest (and one of my favorite) pastel brand, Schmincke, manufactured there, and as the historic bed of the pastel medium, Germany is an important art hub. German painter Johann Alexander Thiele (1685-1752) is credited with the essential invention of modern pastels.

Expressionism is a key art movement originating from Germany.

Wall Panel, 1914
o/c
Kandinsky

Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944) was a Russian artist whose growth and style was solidified during his long residencies in Germany. He was the first abstractionist.

Astrid Volquardsen is a contemporary pastelist in Germany. Link.


German information center, US German Embassy.
Some of my favorite pastellists either originate from or frequent German soil:
Wolf Kahn, born in Stuttgart.
Gesa Helms, frequents Germany and posts landscapes from there.
Casey Klahn, second generation German-American.

Petra Voegtle
Not a pastel artist, but very prolific and an indispensable gateway for English language blogging from Germany.

3 comments:

Gesa said...

Blush... amongst such illustrous pastellists here. Thank you!
Despite my German passport I will struggle to shout for the German footie team as of tomorrow, though. Shame that the Scots didn't make it!

Unknown said...

Hi Casey,
thanks for the lovely plug you gave me!
I must admit that I haven't tried pastel so far yet besides some watersoluble which I used for shading on silk.
Nevertheless - I think I am a colour addict - in any respect. Does this qualify?
Greetings from Munich,
Petra

Casey Klahn said...

Yes, you qualify, Petra.
You are welcome, Gesa.
Now, I just need to hear from Mr. Kahn.