Friday, August 8, 2008

Abandoned Barn Photomerge Panorama

Abandoned Barn Panorama - Click On To Enlarge


Shall we share an artistic adventure? Select and view the panorama photo posted above, and bust out your pastel set.


Here we are in panoramic Eastern Washington, about 3 - 4 miles from my house. The subject in this kind of vast and open landscape is, to say the least, a challenge to arrive at in a focused manner. Luckily, the abandoned barn stands out, and it fits into my typical subject-set of buildings and trees.

Follow along with me here at pastelsblog.blogspot as I develop this scene into a finished painting. It may take a while, as I'd like to present it to you as a mini workshop.

And, be my guest at utilizing my photos to work along on your own landscape. Stay tuned as we work on the "Abandoned Barn Project".


Reference #1, Abandoned Barn


Reference #2, Abandoned Barn


Reference #3, Abandoned Barn

Consider this your Five for Friday tips, which is my weekly instructional offering. The tips will dovetail with this long term "Abandoned Barn" project.
  1. Feel free to begin any time making thumbnail sketches, preparing your ground (paper) for a studio work based on these photographic images, and let me know if you are participating.
  2. I will be starting with Wallis paper. You may do the same, or use what you prefer instead.
  3. I want you to have in mind an artist that you will be emulating, or following "in the style of" while you are doing this work. Hint: mine is Albert Handell.
  4. If you wish to see my own building images, they are here.
  5. I will be posting periodic updates of this work-along WIP. If you link them to me, I would like to post yours, too. Maker sure the photos are reasonably good. I will be posting instruction on basic pastel and plein air as well as studio practices, so you may participate as a beginner or an intermediate pastelist!



2 comments:

Brian McGurgan said...

Casey, this is an excellent idea. You can count me in. I'll be giving thought to support but may go along with the Wallis paper since I have some nice Belgian mist toned paper on hand. I don't like abrasive paper that much but this will give me the opportunity to play around more with it. Right now I'm thinking of emulating Richard McKinley but am also toying with using George Innes. There are some really nice browns in your reference photos and Innes was a master of such color, and I also admire McKinley's work very much too. I'll confirm these decisions as I work along at the assignment. Feel free to practice your corrective criticism skills on my efforts as they progress - I'll post my work on my blog. Is there a timeline your hoping to stick to?

Casey Klahn said...

People keep mentioning G. Innes to me, so I'd better have a look at him.

My plan is to use NO BROWN at all! I hope you will, though, because the comparison of outcome will be interesting.

I've been having trouble with commitments, lately, but I'll try to make this a weekly post. If not Friday, I'll make it another day. Then, I'll still have a separate Five for Friday post.

This week I'll be at Family Camp, so I'll post early in the week, then be out for @ 5 days.

I have the thumbnails done, and hope that work-along artists will try to complete their thumbnails before I post them later tomorrow. Or, maybe I'll post the B&W sketches, because the color sketches are still in process for me - I have one but it isn't sitting right, yet.

Excited to have Brian along. Anyone else?

BTW, Brian, McKinley was Handell's student. We'll be on about the same sheet that way, because the two are very similar.