Thursday, December 8, 2011

Artistic Authenticity



The elusive state of artistic authenticity is what I want to discuss.  Here is an excerpt from the article I am writing about Authenticity In Your Art:




"Ignore Everybody,"
 Hugh MacLeod.




Technical skill is not critical to being authentic, although it may help to more easily say what you mean with your artwork. More importantly, I value being comfortable with line, composition and color. The formal elements of all artworks can be a huge distraction when a painter doesn't use them with intention and ease.


One obsolete meaning for the word, "authentic," is "authoritative." This is where my focus lies. Having the merit of authority – unimpeachable work. I once lunched with Donald J. Wiseman, the man who excavated ancient Babylon. Here before me was a living textbook footnote, for he was certainly the authority in his field.

Wiseman.

Hugh MacLeod.

More to come.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Having just started painting again last October, this is precisely the idea I have maintained as I explore different subjects with watercolor, and now oil. Thank you for articulating it so well.

Casey Klahn said...

And thanks for the reading here, Kevin.

Karin Goeppert said...

This sounds very interesting and something I subscribe to myself. I am sure it will be good.

Karin Goeppert said...

This sounds very interesting and I actually believe in that wholeheartedly. It will be a good article.