Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Red River Sketch

Red River Sketch
@ 7" x 4"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


In organizing photos the past few days, I came across this sketch, and realized it hadn't been posted before. This one started a whole series, in some ways. The elements that went into it were a trip to see the Hoquiam River, early pinks in the trees (spring or late winter deciduous trees lining the river bank), an Indian Red pastel stick, and an idealized conception of American rivers.

The river series is a fun group of strongly colored riverscapes seen here.

3 comments:

Kelly M. said...

Followed the link to your "River Series" on Colorist. It made my day -- am closing up shop here at work after battling budget cuts, etc. and just to see those colors wash over the screen made my heart sing -- I truly love rivers. So often the focus is on the beach, oceans, etc. but I live and work along the Connecticut River and it is embedded in my psyche after so many years. Many thanks for this!

Casey Klahn said...

The Connecticut River is definitely a heartland river I'll bet, Kelly. That is the sort I am picturing in my mind - middle America images.

Rivers are yesterday's highways. People forget that, huh?

Kelly M. said...

Yesterday's Highways -- that would be a great title for an exhibit of your rivers -- have a good weekend!