Wednesday, July 16, 2008

At The Lake


Lake Sketch with Teal, Blue & Red
@4.5" x 4.5"
Charcoal
Casey Klahn



Lake Sketch with Green, Red, White & Black
@4.5" x 4.5"
Charcoal
Casey Klahn




At The Lake
@8"x 6"
Pastel
Casey Klahn



Docks at the Lake

@6"x 8"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


As promised, here are the sketches done at the lake over the Fourth of July holiday. You'll recall that I got to the lake without paper, and so a search of the cabin revealed some old sketches that I had done many years ago taped on the wall in the dining room. Already, acid was starting to yellow the edges on these, but you make due with what you have!

Luckily, a small Le Maxi sketch book stays in my canvas sketch bag all of the time, and so I was able to sketch as well. I also severely missed my umbrella, and made due with tree shade that was barely adequate.


What I liked about these scenes were the colorful boat canopies. I didn't really overcome the warmth of the paper for the first pastel. The evening light was very warm, but I still think it's too much in the resulting work. I did better on that account the next day for the second one.

I really enjoyed having my large palette box on hand with dozens of colors. And considering that, I feel very good about keeping the colors under control for these realist works.

3 comments:

Brian McGurgan said...

Hey, Casey, are we seeing some of those new purples you got recently in these pastel sketches? I was looking forward to seeing what you would do with them. These are great. I like the notes on the charcoal sketches, too.

Casey Klahn said...

Notes are a constant thing for me. I haven't used the purples, yet. But, I did manufacture a great big tan-brown stick!

I'll blog about that later.

Gesa said...

I had been curious about your paper replacement plan. Nice post - and it's an interesting one re paper temperature. I had three sets of papers with me on Eigg: aubergine, cool blue and sand. It struck me again just how much that sets the overall temperature - and I know how much I struggle if the temperature is wrong. Well done for colour control in the face of potential overload, too ;) I had realised that my box was really pretty plentiful for what I needed. Will try and par down more next time... And will try to post more on the pastels when I get time