Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Time & Open Air Drawing

Casey Working en Plein-Air

Spring! Get yourself ready for some open air painting and drawing. I am.

How will I approach my outdoor trips? There should be goals and philosophies. There will be the impedimenta.

I can say for now that I don't have the goals of strictly finishing a work in the filed. I'm too much of a studio painter for that. And as far as equipment goes, the fewest and the lightest things are necessary. My French easel is usually too much!

Philosophy? I am reminded of some things Wolf Kahn said about nature. For him, nature is a pretext. He is more interested in landscape painting than he is in the landscape itself. I subscribe to that formula, too. I want to be a man of the landscape in the vein of Vincent van Gogh, or of Wolf Kahn.

Don't forget what the bard Bob Dylan has said,
"I am against nature. I don’t dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can’t touch with decay."


Of course, as I write this it's snowing outside!

Here's some grist for the mill:

Guerrilla Painter
PAPA
Rebecca Grantham
Rene PleinAir
Michael Chelsey Johnson


No comments: