Friday, January 25, 2013

Barbara Jaenicke Teaches Three Snow Scenes

Heading Somewhere Warm
8" x 10" 
Pastel
Barbara Jaenicke

Barbara Jaenicke, of Roswell, Georgia, blogs here.  I have become a fan of her teaching style, and want to share the following three posts from her blog with you. They unpack the mysteries of pastelling snow scenes, and she is careful to advise you to do some plein airing in order to keep it real if you also wish to use reference photos.  Good advice, and wonderful pastels, Barbara!

The Many Colors of Snow, Part 1.
The Many Colors of Snow, Part 2.
The Many Colors of Snow, Part 3.






6 comments:

Karin Goeppert and Kenneth Burns said...

Thank you for sharing this, Casey!

Casey Klahn said...

No problem, Karin. It is a very well done blog.

Susan Williamson said...

Glad you've included Barbara's posts of these generous demos...good stuff!

Casey Klahn said...

I love to share great blogs.

Linda Roth said...

I totally agree reference photos don't do snow justice. All they can do is stop the light from changing so rapidly so you have something to go on back in the studio where you can pull off all your Patagonia snow gear. Not being a snow bunny,I have yet to experience the great outdoors in twenty degree weather--but maybe I could get as far as my backyard? I do have a winter snow scene going of that area that needs pushing. Jaenicke's posts were most informative.

Casey Klahn said...

You know this, Linda, but I'll remind the kind readers that we can always look out the window!