Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gerhard Richter Painting: There Is No Plan

Gerhard Richter




"Painting has nothing to do with...(what language can communicate)." Gerhard Richter.


I wanted to share Richter's video and words with you. Although this isn't pastel, it does communicate some of the basis of my See Differently workshop.  One thing that happens at the workshops is that I put you in some psychological distress, and you have to paint your way out of danger.


Watch the video and see how Richter expresses his precipitous loss of freedom as a painting sees progress.  It gets harder as it goes.  I love that description.



4 comments:

Linda Roth said...

I think I experience that every time with every canvas and all you can do is keep pushing it till you're too drained to push it again. Does that make sense?

Casey Klahn said...

Your comments always make very much sense, Linda.

ZenDotStudio said...

This looks like a fabulous movie. We get to be a fly on the studio wall. I am always intrigued to watch painters work, especially abstract painters.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Carole. Glad you'll get to watch it, too.