Monday, May 26, 2008

Civil War Art

Painting Waiting to Happen
All Photos: Casey Klahn

Caisson

Girl Marching in Uniform

Dresses


Back to Civil War figures. I had the unparalleled opportunity to sketch and paint the reenactment in Spokane over the holiday weekend. The figure is a subject I have
wanted to return to. An artist can pay good money for costumed models, or find an event like the one I did. But, you gotta be brave to set up in the middle of holiday gawkers, and more than likely fail all over the paper. See the artist bleeding on the ground.

As it turned out, I was really happy with the outcome. Yesterday's post shows Friday's images. I returned with the family in tow on Monday, but gusting winds kept me from setting up. It just underlines the blessing of getting a good set-up on Friday.

Maybe I'll get in costume and arrive next year at the Civil War reenactment as a period artist. Stove pipe hat, anyone?

I was wondering who were the artists active during the Civil War, so that I could have a baseline to begin with for my study. The illustrated magazine was new on the public stage, and artists were in demand. The first artist I found was, of course, a pastellist. Edward Lamson Henry, 1841-1919 struck a chord with me right away.

Winslow Homer is the most noted Civil War battle sketch artist. Thumbs.

Wounded Soldier being Given a Drink from a Canteen
Drawing: Charcoal and white chalk on blue-green paper, 1864
14 3/8 x 19 ½ ins
Winslow Homer


Drummer Boy
Drawing: Black and white chalk on blue paper, 1864
17 x 10 5/8 ins.
Winslow Homer





No comments: