Sunday, January 29, 2012

Upcoming Article

Up Country Pines
11" x 17.9"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


The following is an excerpt from my upcoming article in The Scribbler.

New faces have more authority than accustomed ones,” Euripides.

Authentic art is the sacring bell of the artist's experience. If you are able to say something new with your pastels, people will beat a path to your studio door.

Developing authority as a pastelist is achieved by creating authentic artwork that is singular and unique. Authority is as uncommon now as it ever was. 


4 comments:

Sara Mathewson said...

Can't wait for the article and you are so right. One of these days i will be well enough to take a workshop with you. this is the year of health!

Sara Mathewson said...

Forgot to say that I really like this painting. the soft colors with those browns make the whole painting rich in color.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for reading so many of my posts here, Sara! Thanks for the compliments.

Sara Mathewson said...

Well, I guess you know how I feel about your paintings:)

they just keep getting better and I really am learning from them which is good. i know i have to find my own voice, but, I do want to lean towards abstracting the landscape and making very loose still life's with bold juicy strokes and the same for my floral's. I want to loosen up and abstract.

Those are my goals this year. I really have to keep working at it because my immediate inclination is to be more representational, and I don't like that for me. I have to put that out of my mind. i'm thinking of doing some straight abstractions (if I can) to kind of get me going in the right direction. also I think I will start doing underpaintings more so I have something totally abstract to work with and respond too.

i do love your posts I have learned so much from you!
So, thank-you for the informative posts!